Friday, February 15, 2008

living his faith

"I have been challenged in recent weeks at Church, as it seems some of the Sunday Service topics, and some words said therein, have been antithetical to my very Being and Soul. Twice recently I was tempted (and actually came quite close on one occasion) to simply walk out of the service. But, our faith teaches me tolerance, and that even vastly points of view (if presented respectfully) have their place. Thus I have had the opportunity to grow from my remaining. I have stayed and tried to learn perhaps not from the topic or words, but from my reactions to them. Our wonderful faith has guided me and provides that extra insulation I need at times when I find it cold and perhaps even need to brave the wind chill of intolerance. I feel blessed by our faith that has taught me much. Just don’t be surprised if I seem to be wearing mittens now and then. And if you need to borrow a scarf yourself, I’ll be happy to offer you mine."
--UUCGT Trustee Jeff Hawkins, adapted. Jeff is a Druid, and a true UU.

(Is it too defensive to note that he was speaking about services presented by people other than me? I do know that I need to take responsibility for mentoring our presenters, and worship coordinators, to present living worship *every* week...)

2 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i knew what those services were about. i'm highly interested, and i can relate. i've felt that way on several occasions in the recent past. that experience teaches you a lot about how much you're willing to endure before your tolerance runs out. i admit i'm not as tolerant as the author of this blog. i've walked out. oops. :)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

I've been pushed out. . .

But unfortunately for cold intolerant U*Us I have a fine wardrobe of winter clothing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home