Thursday, July 17, 2008

film as rorschach & worship

Two movies open this weekend: The Dark Knight and Mamma Mia! Well, Space Chimps opens as well, for the families with budgets that accomodate movies. For most of the film-going public, I suspect there will be a clear division. The line waiting for the Batman flick will be easily distinguished from the line for the musical. I am eager to see both movies (perhaps confounding gender-based predictions), but alas, I will be driving to SUUSI. I am excited about going to SUUSI (and the three different Grateful Dead-related talks I'll be giving), and I am strongly tempted to exceed the speed limit the whole twelve-hour drive, so I can watch at least one of the films in some convenient theater along the way. I've read the Dark Knight novel, and I know the story of Mamma Mia!, so it isn't about spoilers...it's about missing the energy of the opening-night crowd, the feeling of anticipation, the shared larger-than-one's-self experience. If you go, please think of me as the film begins, and have a bite of sacramental popcorn as you do.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I go and think of you, do I have to kick the wall and injure myself as well? Just chekcing.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Chip said...

No, but thank you for the thought. There are some things that simply cannot be recreated (ever again, I hope).

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sacramental popcorn! I heart you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home