Friday, August 25, 2006

crickets and blinking lights

I lay in bed last night, listening to crickets chirp. It is a wonderful sound, one I did not hear in Hyde Park. And as we arrived--after midnight, last Tuesday night (well, Wednesday morning)--the traffic lights were blinking. I haven't seen that in quite a while. Culture shock, just a bit, but I am loving Traverse City so far.

We had too much stuff to fit on the 26' truck we rented. So we had to wait another day, rent another, smaller truck, and a tow dolly on which to tow our car. And then, while trying to back up the 26' truck with our car behind it, the tow dolly jackknifed (sp?). I damaged the back of the truck, popped the right headlight out of our car (destroying the right front quarter panel and denting each front door slightly), and broke the tow dolly. Not an auspicious beginning.

While unloading the truck in TC, I tried to push the ramp back up into the truck...it snagged, somehow, and smashed my Palm Pilot, which was (stupidly!) in my pants pocket.

Oddly enough, I haven't gotten very angry about all of these things. I've just taken them in stride, and worked to fix the situations. Maybe I'm maturing.

And I really am glad to be in TC. I would like another week, just to get settled in, etc., but I will gladly begin work next Friday. I am excited.

1 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Ah, crises with no human victims. It is frustrating when things break, but much easier than when people do. ;-)

We miss you already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home