Friday, August 15, 2008

bye, ma

I may be canceling my AT&T landline phone. I know many folks who only have mobile phones; and virtually the only calls we get on that phone are from telemarketers; and it still feels weird. Unfortunately, we really cannot afford to keep the "house phone" working. According to a Slate article, we aren't the only ones giving up on landlines. And, according to this follow-up article, we aren't the only ones who are emotionally (and possibly reasonably) attached to our landlines. The most compelling reason to keep the phone is that it works even if the power is out. I keep my mobile well-charged, so that isn't worth the money, at this time. Thanks, Ma Bell, for all the good service and communication innovation...

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to get rid of our landline, but we'd have to have satellite internet, which isn't nearly as reliable as the broadband we get through our phone company as part of a bundle. :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home