Friday, August 29, 2008

believing their own propaganda?

Thank you, Chalice Chick and Cynthia, for insisting that the media has over-emphasized the phenomenon of "angry women who won't vote for Obama." I am sorry that I contributed to the perpetuation of such stereotyping.

And, while I expect that many conservative mouthpieces were hyping the "dissatisfied Hillary voters" meme, it may have boomeranged on them, as McCain has just chosen Alaska Governer Sarah Palin as his running mate. I do not know that Governor Palin is not qualified to serve as VP, but I do know that it undercuts the Republican's ability to smear Obama as "inexperienced": Palin has only two years of state or federal experience. And Alaska doesn't bring any more electoral college votes than does the state of Delaware, Joe Biden's home state--they both have 3.

I am pleased that a second woman has been selected for a VP position; and I think that McCain is wrong, if he thinks that Governor Palin will attract many women who originally supported Senator Clinton. For one thing, there aren't as many disaffected Clinton voters as the polls have said there are!

3 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

She has Executive experience as a Gov in an Oil producing State (Obama, McCain, and Biden all have none unless you want to count Obama's time on the Annenberg Challange which he seems loath to do at the moment).

She's a reformer in a GOP in need of reform.

I know little about her, but on surface she looks good choice.

I like the image of her debating Biden though.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Cynthia L. Landrum said...

Thanks, Chip. :)

I hope I'm right & that this is the Republicans believing the propaganda. I'm actually relieved, in some ways. I was very afraid he was going to pick Romney and that Romney's popularity in Michigan was going to pull our state Republican. I don't think this pick will have the same impact.

She does undercut the "inexperienced" issue, but she undercuts the "young reformer" and the "historic ticket" issues, too. But I'm on such a high (politically--not personally, as my cat died) after last night that I find it hard to think anybody is going to be swayed by this. I'll be checking in with that one Hillary-voting undecided friend to see if it moves her one way or the other, though!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Wow! Two U*U ministers offering public apologies for problematic blog posts within the space of a week or so. I am impressed.

Who knows? Maybe it's the start of a trend. If so, hopefully it will extend to the highest levels of the UUA and will result in the UUA offering comprehensive public apologies to those people it has caused harm to in the past. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home