Wednesday, July 01, 2009

pray without ceasing

"Pray...silence...music...next liturgical element" seems to be the pattern used at many of our public worship services. I had a marvelous time at the General Assembly; there were too many good moments to list yet. And, probably because I am a "J" in the Myers Briggs Personality Typology, I noticed that many of the prayers in our "big" services did not have an "amen" or "blessed be" or "ashe" or my favorite, "so may we be." Anybody else notice this?

1 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Scott Prinster said...

Hi Chipster -- Being a J as well, I do notice that, and consider it a worthwhile tradeoff. I find that a prayer that also includes silence and music is especially good when I'm in a group of mixed religious identity, because it gives people a chance to inject the kind of language they need the prayer to have. Almost all of the weddings I officiate end up having this, for example, to help the guests feel more a part of it. Certainly I don't get to enjoy a neat closure like my J would prefer, but I tend to save that for more homogenous groups.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home