Tuesday, September 14, 2010

guilty bystander?

"For us to claim we are 'on the side of love,' implying others are not, feels dangerously self-righteous to me," posts Rev. Laura Horton-Ludwig. She continues, "Please hear me: I don't want us to sit on our hands or stay silent about what we believe. I feel so blessed to be part of a movement with brave people willing to put themselves on the line for justice. I just hope we can practice with humility, seeking to understand the human lives of those who do not agree with us, even as we do what we need to do. I hope our GA and our continued work for justice will have room for that spirit."

I responded on her blog, but I am not sure it saved, so I'll repeat it here:

Speaking only for my own life, a call to humility is virtually *always* appropriate. I do not disagree with the phrase "Standing on the Side of Love" (I think it is documentable that many of our human cousins are acting from fear or anger, rather than love), and I still think it would serve us well to write, speak and act with humility. Maybe part of GA12 could include working to understand the lives & issues of those who *support* SB1070.

1 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

It seems totally at odds with UUA work on PeaceMaking and peacful uses of language and negotiations. Starting off an engagement with anyone with the notion both on opposite sides of love's divide is a lose-lose strategy. It's UUA destroying itself with this campaign. Best start thinking strategies for your Church existing without UUA if they keep this up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home