Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lillie and Gov. Walker

After the third time Lillie dropped her ball at my feet, I finally looked up: “I’m sorry, girl, I am too upset to play.” “What’s the matter?” she asked (Lilly is our dog, but she sometimes talks to me. Nobody else ever hears her, but I have grown used to it). I told her that I was worried about union workers. In Wisconsin, and in a dozen other states, newly elected lawmakers are attempting to roll back long-held benefits and bargaining rights. “Oh, right,” Lilly laughed, “that’s why the Wisconsin Democrats are hiding out across the state line.” I told her that does sound funny, but the whole issue was not a laughing matter. Other than government workers, we the people have not seen an increase in our real wages (adjusted for inflation) since the 1970s. If our unions get weaker, our wages and benefits will shrink even more rapidly. “Please don’t start ranting about tax cuts for the rich, and all the waste in the prison system again,” Lillie whined, “we dogs are very sensitive to human emotions, and you are hard to be around when you get this way. Why do you think I’ve been asking you to play ball?” You’re right, girl. Let’s go play. I’ve already signed a petition against Gov. Walker calling out the National Guard, at boldprogressives.org. We need some recreation, to keep up our strength for the long struggle for justice. Go fetch!

2 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

"Other than government workers, we the people have not seen an increase in our real wages (adjusted for inflation) since the 1970s."

Speaking of government workers Chip, Quebec Crown Prosecutors recently went on strike seeking a 40% wage increase. Quebec Crown prosecutors currently earn an annual salary of between $43,000 and $100,000 or so, but are seeking wage parity with other Canadian Crown prosecutors who earn up to $196,000 per year. The Quebec Crown prosecutors strike is apparently a first in Canadian history and they have been picketing the Palais de Justice aka court house in Old Montreal for a couple of weeks now.

The picket line of at least a couple of hundred Crown prosecutors, if not 400-500 as one court house security officer estimated, has provided a wonderful opportunity for me to somewhat opportunistically engage in my own peaceful public protest against the well-documented, and thus all but undeniable. . . fact that Quebec Crown prosecutors have undermined and endangered Canada's constitutionally guaranteed right to engage in peaceful public protest by having me charged and tried on all but completely bogus criminal charges of "disturbing the order and solemnity" of Sunday services at the Unitarian Church of. Criminal charges that I was rightfully acquitted of when the hapless Crown prosecutor who went ahead with the rather dubious charges that I had tried to persuade him to drop could not prove a single one of the four or five points of law that he needed to prove "beyond any reasonable doubt" to obtain a conviction.

Quebec Crown prosecutors have been somewhat more "successful" in suppressing my peaceful public protest against U*U injustices, abuses, and hypocrisy in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal by aiding and abetting Rev. Diane Rollert in obtaining a year long restraining order against me, even though she did not *really* have any "reasonable grounds" to fear that I would commit a "serious personal injury offence" against her or any other Montreal Unitarians.

And so it goes. . .

WVC = dednests

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

"We need some recreation, to keep up our strength for the long struggle for justice. Go fetch!"

I hope that your dog Lilly aka Lillie will not be *too* offended if I take this opportunity to remind you and other Unitarian Universalists that I have been *exercising* my civil rights and freedoms in front of a "dog" of a Unitarian Church that I have "a bone to pick" with, to say nothing of occasional forays to The Place That Reeks of Privilege And Hierarchy aka UUA Corporate Headquarters" at 25 Beacon Street in Boston, for the better part of 13 years now. . .

Lilly aka Lillie might get a chuckle out of the fact that I like to *waggishly* refer to my peaceful public protests in front of the Unitarian Church of Montreal on any given Sunday as my "Sunday Constitutional" because I get "a walk taken regularly for one's health" while quite regularly walking back and forth exercising my Constitutional right to engage in peaceful public protest. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home