Tuesday, July 10, 2007

slt redux; creedalism

First, the SoLT sermon may not have been the best one ever preached by the H-H duet, but the response in the moment was conditioned by the scolding at the beginning of the service. Even a great sermon might have been less effective, given the emotional climate of the room.

Second, part of the sermon included a story in which a person who had been abused wailed, "I don't think I can be a UU, because I cannot believe that my abuser has inherent worth and dignity!" To which the response was, "You don't have to believe in the inherent worth and dignity of that person, to be a UU. We have a community for that." I appreciate the pastoral component of that statement, but I wish--especially recounted in a later sermon--the response could have been "You don't have to believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every, or any, person, to be UU, BECAUSE WE ARE A NONCREEDAL FAITH!"

1 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home